About Me

My photo
Bookish. Publisher at Louise Walters Books. Reader, writer, and editor.

Thursday 9 January 2014

New Year, New Books

A belated happy new year to you. I hope Christmas was what you wanted it to be. Ours was crazy and fun!

I got these beauties for Christmas:


So far I've read The Things We Never Said and really enjoyed it. There have been comparisons with Maggie O'Farrell, and I think that's a fair comparison. Lots of story to get your teeth into, and characters you grow to really care about. I'm looking forward to Susan's next novel very much.

84 Charing Cross Road was from my mum. Last year we had a day out together in London and we walked around a lot. We wandered along Charing Cross Road and Mum asked me if I'd read the book. I hadn't, I said, but had always meant to. So it was a sweet surprise to unwrap this lovely old second hand copy on Christmas Day, thanks Mum x

My own novel will be published next month. It's been mostly well reviewed so far on Amazon and Goodreads, which is a huge relief. I've done an interview for the Booktrust website, I'm going to be featured on a few blogs I think, and on Lovereading. Exciting times!

My current read is an oddly absorbing novel called Angel by Elizabeth Taylor. It's a shining example of a very unlikeable protagonist who, nonetheless, is compelling and, well, likeable. Funny, witty and even moving, it's a novel that I'm itching to finish.

 

What are you reading at the moment I wonder? Do share :)

PS, there's a giveaway of a proof copy of Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase over on Beadyjan's blog if anybody is interested...
http://beadyjansbooks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/book-giveaway-mrs-sinclairs-suitcase.html#comment-form






4 comments:

  1. Hi Louise, thanks for taking the time to visit my blog and comment today. :) I read, and enjoyed, The Night Rainbow and The Things we Never Said, last year. Elizabeth Taylor is an author I have heard a lot about via other blogs and I hope to read a book by her soon. All the best with your novel. I've just started reading it and intrigued so far. I love that the idea behind it came from an actual thing that happened whilst you yourself worked in a bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lindsay, hope you are still enjoying it :) It was inspired by quite a few things, one of which was my experience of working in an indie bookshop. I also have an old suitcase with a name label with "Mrs D Sinclair" written on it, so that kind of inspired the title. Dorothy's cottage is based on a cottage I lived in for a couple of years... so there are quite a lot of inspirations. All the characters are made up though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with the publication of your novel Louise! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Christmas books included Andy Murray's autobiography [I'm a tennis nut as well as a writer], Penelope Lively's autobiography, and The Goldfinch. Don't know when I'm going to read them though. sD

    ReplyDelete